Message from the chair of the TC 9.4 (December 2016)
Dear friends and colleagues,
First of all I have the opportunity to wish you and your families the most enjoyable Holiday Season and very Happy and Healthy New Year.
I think that it is the time to give some news about our IFAC Control Education Committee TC 9.4. I would like to give you the list of events sponsored or co-sponsored by our TC in the past year:
- IFAC Workshop on Internet Based Control Education - IBCE 2015, 4-6 November 2015, Brescia (Italy)
- 11th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Control Education - ACE 2016, 1-3 June 2016, Bratislava (Slovakia)
- Modelling, Identification and Control of Nonlinear Systems - 1st MICNON 2015, 24 - 26 June 2015, Saint Petersburg (Russia).
- Biological and Medical Systems - 9th BMS 2015, 31 August - 2 September 2015, Berlin (Germany).
- Australian Control Conference - AUCC 2015, (in cooperation with IFAC), 5 - 6 November 2015, Gold Coast (Australia).
- Advances in Control and Optimization of Dynamical Systems - 4th ACODS 2016, 1 - 5 February 2016. Tiruchirappalli (India).
- Advances in Automotive Control - 8th AAC 2016, 20 - 23 June 2016, Kolmården Wildlife Resort -Norrköping (Sweden).
- 12th Portuguese Conference on Automatic Control - CONTROLO2016, 14-16 September 2016 Guimarães (Portugal).
- Technology, Culture and International Stability - 17th TECIS 2016, 26-28 October 2016, Durres (Albania).
- Telematics Applications - 4th TA 2016, 6-9 November 2016, Porto Alegre - RS (Brazil).
1) THE 11TH IFAC SYMPOSIUM ON ADVANCES IN CONTROL EDUCATION, ACE 2016
As you probably know this event was held in Bratislava from 1-3 June, 2016. Unfortunately I could not attend this conference but all the news were very positive. I would like to thank the tremendous effort developed by Mikulas Huba and his team in Bratislava and the important role of Bozenna an Anthony in the success of ACE16. Finally the number of papers accepted in ACE16 were 66 papers. You can see the proceedings of the conference in IFAC PaperOnLine in the following web location:
2) CONTROL CONFERENCE AFRICA – CCA 2017, 7-8 December 2017
The Control Conference Africa (CCA 2017), to be held 7-8 December 2017, in Johannesburg, is a conference hosted by the South African Council for Automation and Control (SACAC). CCA 2017 is mainly sponsored by the IFAC TC 9.4. Control Education Technical Committee:
3) IFAC 2017 WORLD CONGRESS, TOULOUSE, FRANCE, 9-14 July 2017
We are now involved in the reviewing process of the papers submitted to the IFAC 2017 World congress. The good news is that with respect to the previous IFAC World Congress held in Cape Town we have doubled the number of submissions: 28 papers in the regular track on Control Education and 16 papers more in the Open Invited Track on “Exhibition of Demonstrators for Educational purposes in Control sciences”. I hope to see you in Toulouse next july.
4) IFAC JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS & CONTROL
Next year will appear the new IFAC Journal of Systems and Control to be published by Elsevier. The launch of IFAC JSC is a rare publishing event, since it involves the joint presence of IFAC and Elsevier on the same masthead. The aim of the journal is to publish technically excellent papers from across the gamut of systems and control. The good news from the point of view of our Technical Committee is that in the scope of the journal “Control Education” is one of the topic. If you remember this has been a recurrent claim of our TC. Robert Bitmead will be the Editor-in-Chief of this new IFAC Journal and I will be a member of the inaugural Editorial Board.
5) AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
It is my real pleasure to share with you that Bozenna Pasik-Duncan has received the 2016 IEEE Educational Activities Board Meritorious Achievement Award in Continuing Education, "for innovative developments in teaching control systems and inspiring STEM education". Congratulations Bozenna for this important award.
6) NEXT EDCOM MEETING
The plan is to have our next EDCOM meeting during the IFAC World Congress. I will give you more information in due time.
This is all for the moment. Please if you have any question related with our EDCOM Committee or some ideas to promote and disseminate our Committee please don´t hesitate to contact me. I look forward to hear from you. My next message before the IFAC World Congress will be in the Spring of 2017.
All the best,